sexta-feira, 9 de maio de 2008

"na outra banda" com Andrew Bate


Primeira de muitas conversas "na outra banda"? Não sei, mas que fica bem nesta banda, ah...isso fica :0)
Primeiro entrevista em inglês, na sequência, tradução.


andrew bateHello Andrew. Very kind of you to participate in my blog.
First, congratulations for you nomination for Cornish Live Music Awards 2008 and for be the actual musical director for Rogue Theatre group!
You released your first album. Congratulations! How do you feel? Five songs but you have many more. Why only five and how difficult was choose those ones.
-Thank you for your kind words on the theatre group.
The CD is actually an EP made of songs that I've managed to complete, because I'm a solo artist it's hard to get completed tracks with a full band, so the reason there's only a few tracks on there is because they're the ones that I feel are closest to being complete and a true representation of what I want them to be.

Influences

You have very good taste and at the same time, are influences to you.
Can you tell each song or movie make you think: “this is what I want to do” and how is the process till you get here?You also are a composer. Each one you love the most? Can we see an original soundtrack from Andrew soon too?
-I do love composers especially film composers, with my music I'm always trying to create a feeling of theatricality in the same way film composers are. My all time favourite composer would have to be Danny Elfman, he's just got a great talent for theme's and atmosphere, he's very unique. In terms of a soundtrack of my own I think I'll be recording the soundtrack for the new show i'm working on with Rogue Theatre so watch this space.

Where you get inspiration for writing a song. The place you lived is also responsable for the tunes you write?
-Movies are a big influence on my music, I'm a different type of musician because my inspiration usually comes from something visual as opposed to an event or other musical stimuli so movies play an important part in my writing.
Another big influence is a place I grew up in called Fowey which is a big seaside town with lots of history to it. I wrote a record about that kind of sea faring life and the tragedy and romanticism of it which was directly inspired by the landscape and history of Fowey.

myspace & the music business

You have a webpage in www.myspace.com/andrewbate. How you define this tool?
Do you think today with all hype around downloads, the only way for a musician survive to support his own music, is gigs?
- Myspace is a huge asset to anyone who is unsigned or who wants to get some exposure or just generally wants people to hear them. It's completely revolutionised the music industry! Now all you have to do to find out about someone or "discover" someone everything you need to know is just a click away! it's truely remarkable and a great step towards musical freedom. Having said that, your point about how gigs are the only way of supporting yourself is becoming more and more true, unless you are playing regularly and have merchandise to sell then it's very difficult to make any real money in music at the lower levels.

feedback

Family, friends, fans: how they support you? Are you open for opinions?
- My family are fantastic supporters, my father comes to almost every gig and it's great having him there, not only because he's a form of support but also he gives me the perspective of the audience, so if the sound wasn't right or a particular song didn't come across very well he can let me know and I can fix that for next time. But everyone in my family supports me totally for which I am very very grateful.

I know your song from Portugal . This surprises you?
- It does startle me how music travels and how I've found that people listen to my music from places very far away it's very exciting! Again it's one of the advantages of having a prescence on the internet and on myspace is that anyone anywhere has access to your stuff which is great.

What do you know about Portugal . Do you heard anything from here? Can we expect see you playing in Portugal?
- I've never been to Portugal, I would love to visit, the only things I know from Portugal are what I hear on the news and whatever I get from my good friend Tadeu (You) but yes I would love to visit your country.

You play a Damien Rice song "volcano" when you touring. Did he listen your song? - I've never met Damien Rice and I on't think he's heard any of my songs, although a girl I play Volcano with sometimes met him and he liked her stuff. :)

the future

The present seems great for you at the moment. Are you reached anything that you plan since the beginning?
Your plans for the future pass trough a stage or once you have a tool like myspace is enough for share your thoughts in songs?
- Everything at the minute is going so good I'm very happy with the way my life is going at the minute and there are lots of exciting things coming up in the next few months, the music awards are in the next week and I'll start working on the new show for Rogue Theatre within the next two months and then I'll be on tour in September taking the show around the country. So yeah the future's so bright I'll have to wear sunglasses all the time! :) My music is my life so when I'm happy with my music I'm happy with my life.



Ola Andrew. Muito simpático da tua parte participar no meu blogue.
Primeiro, parabéns pela nomeação para o Cornish Live Music Awards 2008 e por ser o actual director musical da companhia Rogue Theatre!
Editou seu primeiro álbum. Parabéns! Como te sentes? Cinco canções mas tens muitas mais. Porque cinco e quão difícil foram escolher estes temas.
- Obrigado pelas palavras carinhosas sobre a entrada no grupo de teatro.
O CD é na verdade um EP feito com canções que consegui concluir, porque sou um artista a solo e é difícil obter estas faixas sem uma banda completa, esta é a razão pela qual só há algumas canções. São as mais próximas de estarem completas e por serem uma verdadeira representação do que eu quero ser.

influências

Tens um excelente gosto musical que ao mesmo tempo serve de influência para ti. Podes dizer que canção ou filme o fez pensar: “isto é o que quero fazer” e como é o processo até chegar aqui.
Também és compositor. Qual o teu favorito? Poderemos ver uma banda sonoral original do Andrew para breve?
- Sim gosto de compositores, principalmente de filmes. Com minha musica estou sempre a tentar criar um sentido teatral do mesmo jeito que compositores de filmes fazem. Meu compositor favorito é Danny Elfman, tem uma grande talento para temas e atmosfera, é único. Sobre gravar uma banda sonora minha, penso que irei gravar para o novo show que estou a trabalhar com a companhia Rogue Theatre, então fica atento.

De onde vem a tua inspiração para escrever uma canção. O local onde vives é também responsável pelos temas que escreves?
- Filmes são grande influência na minha música. Sou um músico diferente porque minha inspiração normalmente surge de algo visual em oposição a um evento ou outro estímulo musical, portanto, filmes tem um papel importante na forma como escrevo.
Outra grande influência é o lugar onde cresci. Eu cresci num lugar chamado Fowey que é uma grande cidade litorânea repleta de histórias. Escrevi um tema sobre estes contos, tragédias, romantismo À volta do mar que é directamente inspirado nas paisagens e história de Fowey

myspace e o mercado da música

Tens uma página online em www.myspace.com /andrewbate. Como defines esta ferramenta?
Acredita que hoje, com toda mediatização dos downloads, a única forma para um músico sobreviver para suportar sua música, é fazer concertos?
- Myspace é uma grande vantagem para quem não tem nada assinado ou que quer algum tipo de exposição ou somente quer que as pessoas as escutem. Revolucionou completamente a industria musical!Agora o que tens de fazer é pesquisar algo sobre alguém ou “descobrir” alguém, tudo que precisas esta a distância de um click! É verdadeiramente notável e um grande passo no sentido de liberdade musical. Tendo dito isto, seu ponto de vista sobre concertos ser a única forma de suporte musical é cada vez mais verdade, a não ser que toques com regularidade e tenha produtos teus para vender, tornar-se-á muito difícil ganhar realmente dinheiro com música a níveis baixos.

retorno

Família, amigos, fans: como é o apoio deles? És receptivo com opiniões?
- Minha família são um apoio fantástico, meu pai vai a quase todos os concertos e é óptimo tê-lo por perto, não só pela forma como apoia mas também por passar a perspectiva da audiência, se o som estava bom ou se numa canção em particular algo não soou muito bem, ele comenta e assim fixo para que da próxima vez possa corrigi-la. Mas todos na minha família me apoiam pelo qual estou muito grato.

Conheço tuas canções a partir de Portugal. Isto surpreende-te?
- Fico surpreso como a música viaja e como descubro pessoas que escutam minha música vinda de lugares distantes, é muito excitante! Outra vez, é uma das vantagens de estar presente na Internet e também no “myspace” porque qualquer um, em qualquer canto, pode ter acesso as tuas coisas, é fantástico.

O que conheces de Portugal. Ouves alguma coisa daqui? Podemos esperar por um concerto teu em Portugal?
- Nunca estive em Portugal, adoraria visitar, as únicas coisas que conheço de Portugal são as que escuto nas notícias e as que recebo do meu amigo Tadeu, mas sim, gostaria de visitar seu país.

Cantas um tema de Damien Rice “Volcano” quando estas em digressão. Ele já ouviu tuas canções?
- Nunca conheci Damien Rice e não creio que ele tenha ouvido qualquer canção minha, embora a rapariga que canta comigo em Volcano( “na outra banda” nota: Paulie Rogers) as vezes se encontra com ele e goste do material dela.

o futuro

O presente parece risonho para ti até ao momento. Já alcançaste algo traçado no início?
Teus planos para o futuro passa pelos palcos ou uma vez que tens uma ferramenta como myspace é suficiente para partilhar teus pensamentos em canções?
- Até ao momento, tudo tem corrido muito bem. Estou muito feliz com o modo que minha vida vai a cada minuto e muitas coisas excitantes estão para chegar nos próximo meses, os prémios de música são para a próxima semana e vou começar a trabalhar no novo show do Rogue Theatre pelos próximos dois meses e em tournée em Setembro levando este espectáculo pelo país. Então sim, o futuro parece brilhante que terei de usar óculos de sol o tempo inteiro! :0)
Minha música é minha vida e quando estou feliz com minha música, estou feliz com minha vida.





2 comentários:

Robert disse...

Good interview, good interviewer, good interviewee, good god!

na outra banda disse...

good visitor!! :0))
i love you my dear brother!